There is a plethora of newly released hair oil products on the market lately which can make it confusing and time consuming trying to decide which one is right for you. Indeed I have somehow ended up with near on a drawer full of oil based styling products! First world problems, eh?!
L’Oreal have been clever and have taken the guesswork out of it for you by launching two Extraordinary Oils; one for all hair types and one specifically aimed at coloured hair. The only difference between the two is that the oil for coloured hair contains UV filters which in the glorious sunny weather we have been having of late will protect your colour from fading. The oil contains six floral oil extracts (chamomile, dog daisy, linseed, lotus, rose and tiare oils) but silicone also features heavily. Which is fine by me! My hair loves silicone.
I was lucky enough to trial the Extraordinary Oil Sublime Hair Enhancer (that was a mouthful!) for All Hair Types.
What struck me first about the product was the chunky glass bottle it came in; not something we are accustomed to seeing in supermarket beauty products. It looks more expensive than it actually is but that’s just the aesthetics of it for those of us interested in how things look on our dressing table (I am guilty of this; I love lining up my EL serums on the dressing table).
The good news is that not only does it look good but it is genuinely “An Extraordinary Oil”. I initially applied to my damp hair after showering and after blow drying and “big-hairing” I was left with lovely soft, manageable and shiny hair. It made it easier to brush out knots from my long hair and it helped to seal split ends. I am super impressed to say the least and have been using the oil everyday on both wet and dry hair (my hair is fairly dry so I would not advise using this everyday if you have limp hair already). Some may be questioning the use of oil on dry hair but I love it! It tames my split ends, provides a nourishing boost and is perfect when trying to pull off a sleek bun, ponytail or plait! It’s rare that I am really truly impressed with a product but I can’t sing these oils praises enough!
There is a multitude of ways in which these oils can be used and L’Oreal have some recommendations for readers below:
Uses: Rub 2 drops between the palms of your hands and apply evenly to the lengths and ends in the following ways:
- Pre Shampoo: Apply 10 minutes before shampooing to smooth the hair scales, help restore the hair’s hydrolipidic film and protect colour
- Weekly Treat: After shampooing apply to hair, then wrap hair in a warm towel and let the product penetrate deep into the hair. Leave for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- Overnight Treat: Use before going to bed. In the morning rinse out or leave in, as desired.
- Shine Boost: Use on damp hair before blow drying to protect and transform hair for a glossy shine.
- Finishing Touch: Apply after blow drying to enhance softness and to tame fly aways.
L’Oreal’s session stylist James Pecis also has some great tips for hair oil virgins:
- Hair Type: Thick & Course Hair – loves oils as it helps to retain moisture. Very Fine hair – use oil lightly
- Placement is key: be careful not to use too much and start with is just on your ends. If you need more then work into the mid-lengths only
- Start off small: Use Extraordinary Oil just after your hair has been washed and top up when/if required. If you start off using a small amount you can always add more!
You can pick up your bottle of Extraordinary oil from supermarkets and other stockists nationwide priced €14.99